Just when you think twin scroll housings are the greatest things since sliced bread.. then you read Racecar Engineering August 2007 about WRC and Group N turbos , and you need to rethink some things.
You see the all Inconel exhaust housings, the talks of other exotic and exciting materials used for wheels and compressor housings. They mention a Garrett Skoda WRC turbos weighs 4kg (about 8.8 lbs) vs a Group N MHI Evo 9 GSR turbo weighing about 10kg (22 lbs).
Theres also some interesting discussion on twin scroll castings. They basically say that at high power outputs the divided housings distort enough to actually partially block exhaust flow to one side of the turbine. They say the Group N Evo housings are prone to cracking. While the twin scroll works on a street car , the demands of racing require a non divided housing.
Now comes the hard truths , racing turbos , like all good real racing parts, cost real money. They say between 6000 - 12000 pounds ($12,000-$24,000) for a full WRC turbo where a Group N turbo costs about 1200 pounds ($2400).
Buy USA Legal R32 and R34 Skylines at Importavehicle.com!
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (70)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (99)
- ► 2010 (206)
- ► 2009 (302)
- ► 2008 (530)
- Keith Cowie and RB Motorsport in the UK set new Wo...
- What an R33 would look like if it were in Dukes of...
- Can you ever have "enough" cam ?
- Tommykaira R33 Skyline GT-R - Motorex - $93,000
- Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 N1 bare chassis for sale
- Bolt on GT-R turbos
- Byebye Crashed Car
- Everythings red
- More new 2009 Nissan GT-R video
- AF R34 GT-R on the dyno at Harmon Motive
- Red 240
- R32 on the dyno
- Just when you think twin scroll housings are the g...
- From Super Street Tour 2006
- Rod Millens 10 year mark beaten at Pikes Peak
- R34 GT-R twin turbo LS 1 mention
- Toyota Corolla GT-S #2
- Midnight purple Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Vspec for ...
- JGTC R34 GT-R testing at Fontana GT Live 2004
- RB30 powered Nissan Skyline
- LM GT-R
- SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT REACHED ON ILLEGAL EMISSIONS ...
- ETHANOL MAY CREATE MORE PROBLEMS THAN ONCE THOUGHT...
- Stock R34 GT-R vs Tuned R34 GT-R's at Suzuka
- Hakosuka Skyline GT-R video
- How to remove a pull style throwout bearing - late...
- E85 Viper does 220mph in the standing mile
- Nissan Skyline GT-R RB26 oil pump drive
- Japanese GT-R information and catalogs
- The new Supra - Lexus LF-A.
- Nissan Skyline GT-R RB26 vacuum wastegate diagram
- R33 GT-R for sale - DOT bond released
- Double meat -grilled onions - In and Out Burger
- All the Nissans at the 2006 SEMA show
- Close up 2009 GT-R interior
- Hubert Young joins San Dimas Auto Drifting / VQswa...
- Two new games with GT-R proto
- Gangsta black
- Going from green to ????
- VQ35ing S14
- iPhone - Will it blend
- R34 GT-R Garage Ito - Option Magazine Aug 07
- GT45 Y2004k China turbo
- GMC Typhoon 30 psi dyno run
- Evo X S-AWC and Twin clutch transmission
- Look what the freight fairy brought
- GT40 at Palm Springs Historic Races
- Turbo Hydrogen Prius
- Don't drift Cavaliers
- Krusty Os Buzz Cola and Rouge Status
- 93 GMC Typhoon for sale
- 97 240SX - Red
- Another Corolla GTS
- Hubert at NOPI drift LA
- Korean BBQ
- Viper on the roof
- Ron into thewall..RB25 S14
- ▼ July (59)