Wal-Mart pays $250,000 to settle air quality violations
Company sold portable fuel containers that create air pollution
SACRAMENTO: The California Air Resources Board has accepted a
settlement of $250,000 from Wal-Mart Stores for selling portable
gas cans throughout the state that do not comply with state clean
"Enforcement will continue to be an important aspect of cleaning
our air," said Mary Nichols, Air Resources Board Chairman. "The
fumes from these cans should have been prevented."
Investigations by the ARB found that between 2003 and 2007,
Wal-Mart allowed more than 3000 illegal gas cans, to enter their
California distribution system and subsequently be sold.
Historically, because of their large numbers and lack of
emission controls, gas cans contribute substantial amounts of
hydrocarbon emissions, ozone-forming smog and related health
problems. ARB's gas can regulations are intended to ensure that
spillage and evaporative emissions are minimized or eliminated.
This was the fourth time in recent years that Wal-Mart was found
to be distributing illegal gas cans. Recognizing this, ARB
initially sought the maximum fine of $500 for each violation,
but Wal-Mart's own investigations and extensive cooperation led
The repeated violations were due to systematic computer errors
that allowed the products into California. These have since been
rectified. Ultimately, rather than the maximum fine it was
determined that Wal-Mart pay $83 for each gas can violation.
This range is four to five times the amount the individual
products cost consumers.
ARB data shows that the more than 11 million gas cans statewide
contribute about 100 tons-per-day of smog-forming hydrocarbons,
roughly equal to the emissions from all lawn and garden
equipment in the state. Of the 100 tons-per-day about
three-quarters are associated with fuel evaporation from vents
and other types of openings. Permeation - fumes that leak
through the container walls - and spillage contribute about 16
tons per day.
Hydrocarbons from these cans can lead to the creation of ground
level ozone. Ozone irritates and inflames the lining of the
respiratory system and causes coughing, chest tightness, and
shortness of breath. It can worsen asthma symptoms, contribute
to the development of asthma, and cause permanent lung damage.
Among persons already in poor health, repeated exposure can
increase the risk of death. Due to the health hazards of ozone,
California has worked aggressively for decades to reduce outdoor
ozone levels, with considerable success. For more information on
the health effects of ozone, visit
The Air Resources Board is a department of the California
Environmental Protection Agency. ARB's mission is to promote and
protect public health, welfare, and ecological resources through
effective reduction of air pollutants while recognizing and
considering effects on the economy. The ARB oversees all air
pollution control efforts in California to attain and maintain
health based air quality standards.
Buy USA Legal R32 and R34 Skylines at Importavehicle.com!
- ► 2016 (33)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (70)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (99)
- ► 2010 (206)
- ► 2009 (302)
- ► 2008 (530)
- Mischief party DC - Happy New Year
- Mischief Hotel Party
- Your home audio system..
- GPS slows speeders - Big Brother your auto has arr...
- Japanese Nostalgic Car Blog
- Happy 2008.
- Sunline GT-R at Suzuka 1:42. New wheels
- The Enola Gay
- Lexus LF-A beats Porsche GT2 record, Unofficially
- 2009 Nissan GT-R - Launch control test
- These won't fit
- R32 - Limited edition Nismo wheels - LM Limited
- ATM thieves pick the right getaway car.
- Silvia S16 - Best Car Magazine via GT Channel
- Rhys Millen in an accident
- Disney California Adventure
- Disney California Adventure
- Offset your carbon output
- There is no replacement for displacement
- How a DSG transmission works
- RH9 R34 GT-R videos at Autosalon Final Battle - Au...
- The Making of the 2001 Super Taikyu Winning Falken...
- Nissan Car Collection - 336 historical cars
- This makes me want to puke - Prius shaped cookies
- Mine's VX-ROM for G37 Infiniti Coupe
- The Van - 1977
- Now this is an RV.
- R32 GT-R BBS wheels
- R32 GT-R BBS wheels
- EPA Rejects California Greenhouse Gas Regulations
- Wal-Mart pays $250,000 to settle air quality viola...
- Fast and Furious 4 . The Quattro FNF4
- Jackson-Dawson and Scion to Race in Grand-Am’s Kon...
- Domain name for sale GTR2009.com
- Merritts Surge Monster
- Take the cake ice cream
- Red Bull Experiment: Backflip in a truck
- How to legalize a Nissan Skyline GT-R for the USA
- 78 Ford Ranchero with green grass carpet
- ITB's - Trumpted intake manifold
- If you need some small HKS hollow cams for an RB26...
- Bdubb - You know you want this Fleetwood
- Green grass ottoman
- Nissan Skyline Wiring Diagrams
- Motorex..RB Motoring
- When you drive a Bugatti Veyron
- Chris Forsberg - 2007 Formula D Driver of the Year...
- 2009 Nissan GT-R on the dyno
- R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R for Sale , GTR
- Big Nasty - R32 GT-R at Irwindale
- R32 fender roll
- Racecar Engineering December 2007 - Ferrari tire g...
- Nissan suspending all North American racing in 200...
- You Tube vs GT Channel hosted videos
- ARB Settles with San Joaquin Valley's Todd Plumbin...
- Sport Compact Car - Ultimate Street Car Challenge ...
- 2JZ powered all wheel drive , R32 GT-R
- Auto Select - Yellow Shark - R34 on the dyno
- Rhys Millen - Backflip drift truck
- Tuned New STI and Evo X at Tsukuba
- 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R LeMans commercial
- 1989 Nissan Skyline commercial
- 280ZX commercial
- Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 Attesa codes
- 1989 - 1994 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R Differences
- Tsukuba Lap time comparision R32 , R33 , R34, R35
- Motorex R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R
- Gmail , Google , Blogger Accounts Disabled - now w...
- Nintendo Wii - $1,000,000
- 10 second - Stock Z06 on stock tires
- Auto Select R34 - Time Attack
- Dromo 1 Circles
- R35 Nissan GT-R vs GT300 car - Nismo Festival
- Nissan Skyline GT-R history 1989-1998
- C-West Demo R34 - Some recent pictures
- Lewis Hamilton vs the Stig on Top Gear - Video
- Gran Turismo TV - GT-R Legend - Inside Story
- Super Taikyu ? R35 GT-R
- Import Tuner : SP Engineering R33 GT-R - 957 whp
- ▼ December (81)