Tesla Sports Car Gets Air Bag Waiver
By KEN THOMAS – 1 day ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tesla Motors received a waiver from the government on a federal air bag standard Monday, bringing it a step closer toward the production of its all-electric Roadster later this year.
Tesla, based in San Carlos, Calif., has pre-sold all of its 2008 Tesla Roadsters, a fully electric sports car that sells for $98,000. The company expects to begin deliveries in the first quarter of this year but needed the waiver to be able to sell in the United States.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it would give the company a three-year exemption from the advanced air bag rule, noting that Tesla tried to comply with the requirements and would still have standard air bags on the vehicle.
Based on information provided by the automaker, NHTSA estimates the waiver will cover 3,825 Roadsters, including 625 vehicles this year and 1,600 in each of the following two years.
NHTSA called the Roadster "one of the most advanced full electric vehicles available" and said the "public interest is served by encouraging the development of fuel-efficient and alternative-fueled vehicles."
The federal agency said Tesla posted operating losses of $43 million from 2003-2006 and that without the waiver, Tesla would "have to cancel its pending development of an electric-powered sedan, and would ultimately have to terminate its operations."
Tesla said in a statement last week that it had received all regulatory approvals to import the first production Roadster for sale in the United States and production would begin March 17.
Tesla has based its Roadster on the two-seat Lotus Elise sports car, which also could not comply with the advanced air bag rule and received an exemption from NHTSA in August 2006. The vehicle will be manufactured at a Lotus factory in Hethel, England, under Tesla's supervision.
Tesla also has announced plans to produce at least 10,000 all-electric, five-passenger sedans a year at a plant in Albuquerque, N.M., beginning in the fall of 2009.
On the Net:
* Tesla Motors: http://www.teslamotors.com
Buy USA Legal R32 and R34 Skylines at Importavehicle.com!
- ► 2016 (47)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (70)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (99)
- ► 2010 (206)
- ► 2009 (302)
- Its waiting for you Bdubb
- On the hood 1990 Fleetwood
- $130k 2009 Nissan GT-R ?
- NISSAN ANNOUNCES NEW 2008 SEASON MOTORSPORT PROGRA...
- RB26 , RB25 , RB20 , and other performance parts o...
- A couple of good photos
- A fool and his money....
- Tesla Sports Car Gets Air Bag Waiver
- 1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R in the US for sale. Impor...
- Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Time Attack Nurburgring
- Low Snow
- Only 2.99 a gallon
- Edmunds.com-Inside Line - R34 GT-R at Nurburgring
- Gucci Cadillac
- $500,000 in grants to help three companies demonst...
- Yamaha agrees to $2 million settlement with ARB
- Edmunds.com GT-R owners meet video
- R33 GT-R in San Diego for sale
- Left hand drive R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R
- Evacuate the building
- R32 GT-R vs BMW 335i at Fontana
- 2Fast2Furious R34 Nitro car
- Seized R34's and S15 -
- R32 at Fontana
- GTR Toys
- New Helmet
- Green grass covered Caddy Limo
- Kaizo R34 GT-R Kit Car on Ebay
- 4 Engines , 4 Wheel Drive , Showboat
- Garage Saurus Carbon R32
- LED chrome tailights for an R32
- I wonder what he is going to get to cover this tat...
- Supaca imports - stealing information , and sellin...
- Carbon Fiber wheels
- Supaca Imports - Round 2
- NHRA Museum
- Hot Rod NHRA Museum
- New ride after the 240 got hit
- Orange and Silver
- I wonder what this is a picture of
- USS Tokyo Auction - GT-R sale day
- RB Motorsports Pictures from Tokyo Auto Salon
- Teenagers caught in Porsche Scam on Craigslist
- Secret Car Speed Limiter Trials
- Suburbans do damage
- 2007 new vehicle sales just short of 2005 record -...
- Formula DRIFT 2008 Focuses on Safety
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Team Falken partner up with ...
- Pro Street Drag Series UK
- Nissan GT-R GT500 Race car to debut at Tokyo Auto ...
- Ace Hardware to pay $850,000 for air quality viola...
- My Birthday is coming up soon , please buy this fo...
- Lewis Hamilton signs $138million deal , nice birth...
- New car sales reach 34 year low in Japan
- Not the way to fix a brake line.
- Chamco - Chinese made cars to be imported to the U...
- Deepak and Dustins New Years Eve Party
- Buick GNX # 359 - $107,980
- Rainbow in Florida
- High Performance Imports - M Speed R34
- This doesn't work like video games
- 4 Generations - R32 , R33 , R34 , R35
- ▼ January (63)
- ► 2007 (572)