Hybrid vehicles are on course to achieve record sales in 2007, increasing by 35% compared with 2006, according to the “J.D. Power and Associates 2007 U.S. Hybrid Vehicle Forecast Second Quarter Update.”
According to Ward’s Auto, an estimated 185,913 hybrid vehicles were sold in the U.S. market through the first half of 2007, accounting for 12.8% of the total U.S. new light-vehicle market through June. While sales of hybrid vehicles are projected to decline slightly in the second half of the year, J.D. Power and Associates says that the market is still on track to sell 345,000 hybrids in 2007—a 35% increase from the 256,000 hybrids sold in 2006.
“High gas prices during the first half of 2007, coupled with automakers lowering the price premium for most hybrid models, have given the hybrid market a boost,” said Mike Omotoso, senior manager of global powertrain forecasting for J.D. Power and Associates.
The Toyota Prius continues to be the most popular hybrid model, selling 94,503 units through June 2007 and representing 50.8% of all new hybrid vehicles sold in the U.S. market in 2007. Prius sales were bolstered earlier this year when Toyota began offering incentives up to $2,000 to entice customers.
“Toyota realized that they had to offer incentives for the Prius to offset the decrease in the federal tax break, which decreased from more than $3,000 in 2006 to less than $1,000 in 2007,” said Omotoso. “The incentives helped Toyota maintain a strong sales pace for the Prius.”
Despite the entry of nine new hybrid vehicle models in the market in 2007—seven of which are expected to go on sale between July and December—the Prius is projected to continue as the sales leader among hybrid vehicles during the next few years.
Competition in the hybrid segment is projected to intensify further in the coming years. According to the J.D. Power and Associates report, there will be as many as 65 hybrid models—28 cars and 37 light trucks in the market by 2010, with sales expected to reach nearly 775,000 units, or 4.6% of the total U.S. new light-vehicle market.
“While consideration for hybrids is falling, interest in hybrids is still strong among consumers, and projections indicate steady growth for this segment in the coming years,” said Omotoso. “Bringing additional hybrid models to the market will serve to fuel that interest.”
Source: J.D. Power and Associates. (August 2, 2007). “J.D. Power and Associates Reports: Hybrid Vehicle Sales on Pace to Reach Record Sales in 2007.” J.D. Power and Associates press release courtesy of PR Newswire.
Buy USA Legal R32 and R34 Skylines at Importavehicle.com!
Thursday, August 09, 2007
HYBRID SALES TO REACH RECORD LEVELS, SAYS J.D. POWER
at 7:52 AM
- ► 2016 (48)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (70)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (99)
- ► 2010 (206)
- ► 2009 (302)
- ► 2008 (530)
- Original Gone in 60 Seconds Trailer
- Sweet turbo modification
- Dromo 1
- MODERN MUSCLECARS AND LIFESTYLE: INDUSTRY INSIGHTS...
- HKS boost
- The sweetest Toyota Camry Wagon eva....
- 2009 GT-R test drive at Tochigi
- A little old but - Steve Wozniak ticketed for 104...
- Evo X Brochure leaked
- Mr Tamura US interview
- Nice shot showing 2009 Nissan GT-R seats
- Air Resources Board Announces $700,000 settlement ...
- Panda Expressing
- Redline movie
- Nissan may void warranty for 2009 GT-R if resold t...
- Dyno R32
- EAT HELLO KITTY
- Nissan GT-R to make US debut November 16
- 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo for sale
- Article on 7tune.com on R33/R34 test car
- NOPI Chicago Cancelled
- Hubert Young in the VQswap.com S13
- 2009 GT-R engine information
- Formula D Sonoma
- Formula D Sonoma - VQSwap.com
- HYBRID SALES TO REACH RECORD LEVELS, SAYS J.D. POW...
- Then why do you drive a gasoline burning car ?
- F the 405 its 9:20 pm
- Lip o'day That's a 6 D cell Maglite
- Container of wheels
- 350 crunch
- XS R32 other stuff in the background at Spo-Com Sh...
- Rotora R34 GT-R S-Tune at SpoCom Show
- Dromo 1 Two firsts and a third
- What engine in what car ?
- Rental car drag racing
- Erics response to my response to Super Street on T...
- GDS R32 GT-R drag racing and in car
- TWIN-INJECTION ENGINE ONE OF THE 10 BEST, SAYS WAR...
- Customizers Go Head To Head In New Car Makeover Se...
- Low 8 second R32 GT-R for sale - New Zealand
- TOTB results and pictures from the UK
- GMC Typhoon article in Winding Road
- ▼ August (44)