Yamaha agrees to $2 million settlement with ARB for importing
roughly 400 uncertified motorcycles into California
Part of money to be used to test emissions from ethanol
SACRAMENTO -Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, and South Seas Cycle
Exchange of Honolulu will pay $2 million to the Air Resources
Board to settle a 2005 lawsuit over the importation of
approximately 400 motorcycles that failed to meet California
ARB's long-running investigation, which began in 2002, found
that Yamaha USA, headquartered in Cypress, Calif., imported more
than 400 illegal motorcycles, registered them to Yamaha, USA in
California, obtained state license plates, and then eventually
sold some of them to state residents. In most cases, these were
popular 1999 - 2002 models that were in great demand and
difficult to purchase in California. One dealer imported more
than 200 and sold all of them to California residents.
"This settlement should send a powerful message to those who try
and make an end run around our air quality regulations," said ARB
Chairman Mary Nichols. "We have the nation's toughest emissions
standards for a reason - because too many parts of California
still fail to meet federal health levels for air quality. These
motorcycles could well have contributed to Southern California's
already fouled air."
While other dealers involved in the case settled earlier with
the ARB, both Yamaha USA and South Seas Cycle Exchange refused
Under the terms of the agreement, Yamaha USA will pay
approximately $1.2 million to the California Air Pollution
Control Fund, which supports pollution-related research. The
company will also pay $500,000 to fund a project to test the
impact of ethanol fuel blends on emissions from off-road
gasoline engines, and $300,000 to the Office of the Attorney
General for attorneys' fees.
In addition to the financial penalties, Yamaha and South Seas
Cycle Exchange started a vehicle purchase program in December to
buy back and destroy or remove any motorcycles that have been
identified as not having been certified for use or registration
Motorcycles that do not meet California's stringent emission
requirements create higher amounts of smog-forming pollutants,
which can then exacerbate respiratory ailments and negatively
affect other health conditions.
The Air Resources Board is a department of the California
Environmental Protection Agency. ARB's mission is to promote and
protect public health, welfare, and ecological resources through
effective reduction of air pollutants while recognizing and
considering effects on the economy. The ARB oversees all air
pollution control efforts in California to attain and maintain
health based air quality standards.
Buy USA Legal R32 and R34 Skylines at Importavehicle.com!
- ► 2016 (48)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (70)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2012 (95)
- ► 2011 (99)
- ► 2010 (206)
- ► 2009 (302)
- Its waiting for you Bdubb
- On the hood 1990 Fleetwood
- $130k 2009 Nissan GT-R ?
- NISSAN ANNOUNCES NEW 2008 SEASON MOTORSPORT PROGRA...
- RB26 , RB25 , RB20 , and other performance parts o...
- A couple of good photos
- A fool and his money....
- Tesla Sports Car Gets Air Bag Waiver
- 1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R in the US for sale. Impor...
- Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Time Attack Nurburgring
- Low Snow
- Only 2.99 a gallon
- Edmunds.com-Inside Line - R34 GT-R at Nurburgring
- Gucci Cadillac
- $500,000 in grants to help three companies demonst...
- Yamaha agrees to $2 million settlement with ARB
- Edmunds.com GT-R owners meet video
- R33 GT-R in San Diego for sale
- Left hand drive R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R
- Evacuate the building
- R32 GT-R vs BMW 335i at Fontana
- 2Fast2Furious R34 Nitro car
- Seized R34's and S15 -
- R32 at Fontana
- GTR Toys
- New Helmet
- Green grass covered Caddy Limo
- Kaizo R34 GT-R Kit Car on Ebay
- 4 Engines , 4 Wheel Drive , Showboat
- Garage Saurus Carbon R32
- LED chrome tailights for an R32
- I wonder what he is going to get to cover this tat...
- Supaca imports - stealing information , and sellin...
- Carbon Fiber wheels
- Supaca Imports - Round 2
- NHRA Museum
- Hot Rod NHRA Museum
- New ride after the 240 got hit
- Orange and Silver
- I wonder what this is a picture of
- USS Tokyo Auction - GT-R sale day
- RB Motorsports Pictures from Tokyo Auto Salon
- Teenagers caught in Porsche Scam on Craigslist
- Secret Car Speed Limiter Trials
- Suburbans do damage
- 2007 new vehicle sales just short of 2005 record -...
- Formula DRIFT 2008 Focuses on Safety
- Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Team Falken partner up with ...
- Pro Street Drag Series UK
- Nissan GT-R GT500 Race car to debut at Tokyo Auto ...
- Ace Hardware to pay $850,000 for air quality viola...
- My Birthday is coming up soon , please buy this fo...
- Lewis Hamilton signs $138million deal , nice birth...
- New car sales reach 34 year low in Japan
- Not the way to fix a brake line.
- Chamco - Chinese made cars to be imported to the U...
- Deepak and Dustins New Years Eve Party
- Buick GNX # 359 - $107,980
- Rainbow in Florida
- High Performance Imports - M Speed R34
- This doesn't work like video games
- 4 Generations - R32 , R33 , R34 , R35
- ▼ January (63)
- ► 2007 (572)