|All Wheel Drive 1965 Ford Mustang|
We’ll take the newer one first. It’s a 1965 Ford Mustang hardtop, one of three such cars built in Dearborn and then shipped to England to be converted to all-wheel drive by Ferguson. The technology within this Mustang can trace its roots to 1950, when British racers Tony Rolt and Freddie Dixon set up a partnership to build an all-wheel-drive race car. That attracted the attention of Irish-born engineer Harry Ferguson, who became their collaborator. By 1960, they had created an AWD Formula 1 car, which Stirling Moss drove to victory at the Oulton Park circuit, the only such win ever recorded. Bigger things obviously existed in selling the system to an OEM manufacturer. Ferguson eventually hit on Ford, which supplied the Mustangs for AWD conversion, plus the addition of Dunlop’s revolutionary Maxaret antilock braking system. The Ferguson Mustangs were used as demonstrators, mainly to police forces in Europe, but never went into production.
|Tubular subframe. The front differential can be seen in the light blue.|
Source: Hemmings Blog