R32 GT-R Hicas Diagnostic
a) Input starting conditions for self diagnosis
1) Turn ignition switch "OFF"
2 M/T : Set shift lever to netural
A/T : Set shift lever to "P" or "N"
4)Turn steering wheel from left to right (at least 20 deg from the netural position) 5 times or more, then depress the foot brake pedal at least 5 times, all within 10 seconds after ignition switch has been turned "ON"
b)Input self-diagnosis item
1)Depress and release foot brake pedal
2)Turn steering wheel from left to right (at least 20 deg) from the neutral position.
3)M/T vehicles. Depress clutch and move shift lever to any gear other than neutral, and then return clutch and shift lever to original position
A/T vehicles. Disengage and engage parking brake lever. Move shift lever to any position other than netural or park, and return it to park
4) Move car at least 2-3 meters (7-10 feet) forward and proceed at an indicated speed of at least 1 mph in self diagnosis mode.
c)Self diagnosis items
1) RH solenoid output
2) LH solenoid output
3)Fail-safe valve output
4)Power steering solenoid output
5) Vehicle speed signal
6) Steering angle sensor
7) Steering angle neutral signal
8) A/T parking brake signal, M/T clutch signal
9) A/T inhibitor signal, M/T neutral signal
d) Self diagnosis display pattern
1) When all systems are normal
A) HICAS light flashes at 0.25 sec (4HZ) intervals
2) If fail-safe system was operated(fail safe valve is operating) when ignition switch was last turned OFF, fail safe items will be displayed in numerical order in modes indicated. After all items are displayed, display is repeated again.
e) Cancelling self-diagnosis
1)Turn ignition switch off, or
2)Drive over 19 mph, or
3)After 5 minutes, the self diagnosis procedure will automatically cancel.
R34 GT-R Hicas DiagnosticSelf Diagnostic Procedure
1. Start the engine
2. Within 10 seconds after turning the key to 'ON', start the engine, turn steering wheel from left to right 20 degrees from neutral 5 times or more times & pump the brakes 5 times. Then press the brake pedal again to enter the test mode.
Diagnostic Item Input
1. Move the vehicle one or two meters at a very low speed
2. Turn the steering wheel more than 20 deg right to left once or more.
11 Control unit
12 Motor power supply
13 Motor output
21 Vehicle sped signal
22 Steering angle signal
23 Steering angle netural signal
24 Rear steering angle main sensor signal
25 Rear steering angle sub-sensor signal
33 Engine speed signal
41 Yaw rate signal
300ZX ProcedureTurbos come standard with High Capacity Actively Controlled Suspension, a fancy way to say 4 wheel steering. There's a visual diagnostic mode to check for problems in the HICAS functions. The 90-93 TTs have hydraulic HICAS running off the power steering pump, where '94+ utilizes electric actuators to handle the rear steering chores. Their codes are a little different, but the procedure is the same. It might required a few tries to make it work. Be persistent!
1. Ignition switch 'off' manual tranny in neutral or A/T in 'P'
2. Start the engine
3. Within 10 seconds after turning the key to 'ON', start the engine, turn steering wheel from left to right 20 degrees from neutral 5 times or more times & pump the brakes 5 times. Then press the brake pedal again to enter the test mode.
4. Turning the steering wheel left or right past 20 degrees from neutral will cause the rear wheels to turn slightly (~1 degree) (1.).
5. Drive the car forward 15 feet under 9mph to enter the full diagnostic mode.
6. The HICAS dash light will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash is first digit, short flash is 2nd digit.
7. Diagnostic mode is exited when: ignition is turned off, vehicle speed exceeds 9mph, or diagnostic has operated for 5 minutes.
HICAS light codes for '90-'93:
1. HICAS solenoid R.H.
2. HICAS solenoid L.H.
3. Cut-off valve
4. Power Steering solenoid
5. Vehicle Speed sensor
6. Steering angle sensor
7. Steering Neutral positon sensor
8. A/T: Parking Brake Sensor M/T: Clutch sensor
9. A/T: Inhibitor sensor M/T: Neutral sensor
HICAS light codes for '94-'99:
11. HICAS control unit
12. HICAS motor power supply not present
13. HICAS motor output not present
21. Vehicle speed signal not present
22. Steering angle sensor angle signal not present
23. Steering angle sensor neutral not present
24. Rear main sensor input not present
25. Rear sub sensor input not present
31. Parking brake sensor input not present
32. Inhibitor switch (A/T) or nuetral switch (M/T) input not present
33. Engine speed signal not present